Monday, March 06, 2006

Goodbye Kirby, We Will Miss You!

Today, March 6, 2006 the world lost one of its best: the legendary Kirby Puckett. I know I was crushed when Kirby retired, but I thought I had a while until I had to mourn his death. Kirby had meant so much to my life. And until today I must admit I hadn't thought of him in quite a while since seeing game 6 of the 1991 World Series on ESPN Classic. 3 of my close friends called me today and told me the grim news. Besides Brett Favre, I know of no other athlete who was so beloved by my group of friends. And that was including two die-hard Brewer fans whos favorite all-time player just happened to be Kirby. I will always remember his ever-present smile, his love for the game and his amazing catch and home run in game 6 of the 1991 series. But most of all I will remember how Kirby helped me and my father develop the type of relationship we have today. He is my best friend and means the most to me in the world, and our love for Kirby and the Twins started an on-going love affair with sports that still goes on today. It's days like these that make you realize life is so short. Kirby was only 44. If we can take anything from his early death, it is that anyone of any size can do anything they want to as long as they have heart. And that we should always go about life with a smile. Kirby, we will miss you, and someday when I go, I hope I will be able to play catch with you and see your smile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home